Research the policy of your country and your local municipality when it comes to social inclusion. To do that, try to find the answers to the following questions:
- What are the definitions of social inclusion/exclusion/marginalization/discrimination that are used in national/local legislation?
- What are the priorities when it comes to enhancing social inclusion?
- What are the priorities in urban development?
- What are the groups considered to be most at risk of social exclusion? Is there any specific legislation to support them?
- What are the national/regional/local programs to enhance social inclusion in urban areas?
- What are the specific institutions that fight social exclusion?
- What are the opportunities to get funding for projects on social inclusion? Are there any open consultations with public authorities where you could discuss your project ideas?
Researching policies is very important – most NGOs do need external funding for projects, and once you know what the priorities are, you increase the chances of your project ideas being financially supported.